One of the most useful reagents for the introduction of the trifluoromethyl group into different organic and organometallic electrophiles. Has been used widely for the conversion of an aldehydes or ketones to an á-trifluoromethyl alcohols,1 trifluoromethylation of arylsulfenyl, -sulfinyl and -sulfonyl halides,2 direct preparation of aliphatic and alicyclic trifluoromethyl ketones from carboxylic esters,3 trifluoromethylation of perfluoroaromatic compounds,4 catalytic trifluoromethylation of various carbonyl compounds and aldimines in the presence of Lewis bases such as lithium acetate or benzoate.5,6 Also applied in addition of trifluoromethyltrimethylsilane to acyl phosphonates,7 synthesis of the first hypervalent silicon species - pentacoordinate silicon species with five Si–C bonds,8 and Asymmetric trifluoromethylation of ketones to afford the trifluoromethylated compounds in high yields with moderate to high enantioselectivities.9
1. Chem. Rev. 1997, 97, 757.
2. J. Fluorine Chem. 1995, 70, 255.
3. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 1998, 37, 820.
4. Russ. Chem. Bull. 1990, 39, 1539.
5. Chem. Lett. 2005, 34, 88.
6. Chem. Lett. 2005, 34, 422.
7. J. Org. Chem. 2007, 72 , 8527.
8. Chem. Commun. 1999, 1107.
9. Chem. Lett. 2007, 36, 666.