A reducing reagent that allows for more selective reductions (vs. ethyl) such as β-selective reduction of anomeric C-phenyl ketals.1 Has been used in copper triflate catalyzed reductive etherification of trimethylsilyl ethers 2 and highly diastereoelective preparation of anti-1,2-diols catalyzed by a Ni(O) N-heterocyclic carbene complex.3 A silylating reagent used in selective silylation of primary hydroxy groups in the presence of secondary hydroxy groups.4 Also used as a scavenger and to prevent t-Bu-cations reacting with nucleophilic residues in the peptide.5
1. Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2003, 14, 3243.
2. Tetrahedron Lett. 2003, 44, 7837.
3. Org. Lett. 2006, 8, 4441.
4. J. Organomet. Chem. 1985, 282, 155.
5. Anal. Chem. 2010, 82, 672.